Monday, February 7, 2011

Back in the Saddle Again






Back at work again after a much needed week's vacation. Wasn't a planned vacation, but one that the doctor ordered. Every so often, we hit that proverbial wall and this last week it was my turn. I finally ventured out yesterday to see how I would do under a little bit of body stress and I'll have to admit it was a tad difficult. But what a great day to be out and about. I went down to my favorite hang out to do a bit of hiking and with the recent rains, the creek was indeed rising. I normally do a couple miles of billy goat climbing out there with little strain, but it took nearly an hour to do 2 miles, so I knew today would be something of a challenge. It started out pretty rough with back to back calls until early afternoon, but it has been quiet for the past hour or so. Yippee. We always pray for sleep, but I know that is an unrealistic dream around here anymore.



I love being out in the woods. I discovered the joy of hiking a few years ago and try to get out whenever the opportunities are available. This last summer, I headed up into the north Tennessee mountains to see how I would do with the elevations and a heavy pack. My goal is to do part of the Appalachian Trail this next summer and I did a few trial runs this last year. Bay Mountain up near Bristol, TN is absolutely beautiful. I tend to go by myself on these adventures and have learned how to take pictures of myself with the camera phone propped up on logs or rocks. The kids keep asking me who is taking the pictures and I tell them it is a secret. Learning how to set the timer and then where to stand has been fun. Especially since I am half blind and have trouble seeing the little screen to start with.


The last time I was up on the ridge, I had a deer literally run out in front of me on the trail and I had to laugh to think that the darn things are going to run out in front of me even when I am on foot. Most of the time I am dodging turtles and lizards. This past summer has been bad for snakes on the trails and up on Pine Mountain here close to home, I had a nice discussion with one for a good 20 minutes before he agreed to get off the trail and let me pass. I looked him up later because he was a nasty looking one, and lucky for me, he was not poisonous. Certainly not an ideal situation to figure out what it is after the fact.

I went up to Cumberland Gap, having heard so much about it in history class at some point in my past, and that was pretty anticlimatic. I stood on the spot that was so famous and for the life of me, couldn't see the attraction. Nearly fell off the side of the overlook trying to take a picture of myself, but other than that it wasn't too exciting. I had forgotten to bring my walking stick, so I found one in the woods and broke the end of the stick off so it would be more manageable. The problem was, the pointed end kept working its way towards my eyeballs, so I grabbed one of my UGA stuffed dogs off the dash of the car and tied him on with a piece of plastic I had torn from a WalMart bag. We have to improvise occasionally. He was a hit with everyone I passed on the trail, and at least two rangers told me that they would have to report a 'bear' sighting. I had to explain that it was a DAWG for goodness sake, woof, woof.
Well, duty calls once again and I am off with another chance encounter with the sick and injured. Let the mantra begin......{please be under 300 pounds.....please be under 300 pounds.....please be under 300 pounds...........}

No comments:

Post a Comment